Refereed archival journal publications
1. Garcia-Menendez, F., Saari, R. K., Monier, E., & Selin, N. E. (2015). US air quality and health benefits from avoided climate change under greenhouse gas mitigation. Environmental science & technology, 49(13), 7580-7588.
2. R.K. Saari et al., “Air Quality under State-Level Limits or Regional Trading to Regulate CO2 from Existing Power Plants.” (in preparation)
3. R.K. Saari, T.M. Thompson, N.E Selin, “Income, inequality, and the health-related economic impacts of ozone pollution in the United States.” (submitted)
4. T.M. Thompson, S. Rausch, R.K. Saari, N.E. Selin, “Air quality co-benefits of sub-national carbon policies.” (in preparation)
5. F. Garcia-Menendez, R.K. Saari, E. Monier, N.E. Selin, “Impacts of climate change and benefits of climate policy for U.S. air quality and health.” Environmental Science and Technology, 49 (13) 7580-7588 doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b01324. (2015)
6. R.K. Saari, N.E. Selin, S. Rausch, T. Thompson, “A self-consistent method to assess air quality co-benefits from US climate change policies.” Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 65, 74–89. doi:10.1080/10962247.2014.959139 (2015)
7. T.M. Thompson, S. Rausch, R.K. Saari, N.E. Selin, “Air Quality Co-Benefits of US Carbon Policies: A Systems Approach to Evaluating Policy Outcomes and Uncertainties.” Nature Climate Change, doi:10.1038/nclimate2342 (2014)
8. T.M. Thompson, R.K. Saari, N.E. Selin, “Air Quality Resolution for Health Impacts Assessment: Influence of Regional Characteristics.” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14: 969-978, (2014).
9. S. Rego-Barcena, R. Mani, F. Yang, R. Saari, M. J. Thomson, “Real time, optical measurement of gas temperature and particle emissivity in a full-scale steelmaking furnace.” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. 40B: 158-168, (2009).
10. S. Rego-Barcena, R. Saari, R. Mani, S. El-Batroukh, M. J. Thomson, “Real time, non-intrusive measurement of particle emissivity and gas temperature in coal-fired power plants,” Measurement Science and Technology. 18: 3479-3488, (2007).
11. A. Wiacek, J. Taylor, K. Strong, R. Saari, T. Kerzenmacher, “Ground-based solar absorption FTIR spectroscopy: a novel optical design instrument at a new NDSC Complementary Station, characterization of retrievals and first results,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. 24 432-448, (2007).
12. Saari, R. K. (2015). Air quality impacts and benefits under US policy for air pollution, climate change, and clean energy (Doctoral dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
1. C.L. Magee, R.K. Saari, G.T. Heaps-Nelson, S.M. Zoepf, “The Historical Roots of the Field of Engineering Systems: Results from an In-Class Assignment”, in Infranomics Sustainability, Engineering Design and Governance, 24: 353-376 (2014).
Government report chapters
1. Saari, R.K., et al. Multiple chapters in “Georgia Basin - Puget Sound Airshed Characterization Report, 2014.” - Vingarzan R., So R., Kotchenruther R., editors. Environment Canada, Pacific and Yukon Region, Vancouver (BC). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10, Seattle (WA). ISBN 978-1-100 22695-8. Cat. No.: En84-3/2013E-PDF. EPA 910-R-14-002. (2014)
1. R. Saari, N.E. Selin, Air quality under state-level limits or regional trading to regulate CO2 from existing power plants, Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference and Exhibition, Raleigh, NC, June 22- 25, 2015.
2. R. Saari, N.E. Selin, T. M. Thompson, Quantifying Economic Impacts of US Ozone Policies for Low-Income Households through Integrated Modeling, Community Modeling and Analysis System (CMAS) Conference, Chapel Hill, NC, October 27-29, 2014.
3. R. Saari, N.E. Selin, S. Rausch, T. M. Thompson, Integrated Assessment of the Co-Benefits of Fine Particulate Matter Reduction Under US Climate Change Policies, Air & Waste Management Association Conference on Climate Change: Impacts, Policy, and Regulation, Herndon, VA, September 10-11, 2013.
4. R. Saari, S. Rausch, T. Thompson, N.E. Selin, Income, inequality, and the health-related economic impacts of ozone pollution in the United States, Technology Management Policy Consortium, Cambridge, MA, June 16- 18, 2013. Rebecca K. Saari c.v. Revised: November, 2015 3/5
5. R. Saari, S. Rausch, T. Thompson, N.E. Selin, Mapping the Air Quality Co-Benefits of Climate Change Policy, Massachusetts Confronts Climate Change: Student Showcase on Climate Adaptation and Mitigation Research, Cambridge, MA, January 29, 2013.
6. R. Saari, S. Rausch, N. Selin. Income-Differentiated Air Pollution Health Benefits from a Newly Enhanced US Economic Model, Council of Engineering Systems Universities Third International Engineering Systems Symposium – Technology Management Policy Doctoral Consortium, Delft, Netherlands, June 18-20, 2012.
7. R. Saari, R. Vingarzan, P. Schwarzhoff, R. Kotchenruther, Update of GBPS Airshed Characterization: Report on Progress, Invited Presentation, May 2010 Georgia Basin Puget Sound International Airshed Strategy Coordinating Committee Meeting, Whistler, Canada, May 11-14, 2010.
8. R. Saari, J.-Y. Urbain, Targeted Odor Control at Wastewater Treatment Plants, Odor Modeling and Monitoring, Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference and Exhibition, Calgary, Canada, June 2010.
9. R. Saari, R. Mani, S. El Batroukh, S. Rego-Barcena, M. Thomson, Combustion Diagnostics with a Midinfrared Pyroelectric Sensor at a Coal-fired Power Plant, CI/CS Spring Technical Meeting, Waterloo, Canada, May 2006.
10. R. Saari, S. Rego-Barcena, M. Thomson, A Smart Sensor for Furnace Pollution Control and Energy Efficiency, APPrO 2005: 17th Annual Canadian Power Conference and Trade Show, Toronto, Canada, November 21-22, 2005.
CONFERENCE PAPERS/OTHER PRESENTATIONS
1. R. Saari, S. Rausch, T. M. Thompson, N.E. Selin, The US market for cool, clear skies: exploring key drivers of air quality impacts under climate change policy, Graduate Climate Conference, Falmouth, MA, November 1-3, 2013.
2. R. Saari, S. Rausch, T. M. Thompson, N.E. Selin, The air quality co-benefits of US clean energy and climate change policies, C3E Women in Clean Energy Symposium, Cambridge, MA, September 27-28, 2013
3. R. Saari, S. Rausch, N.E. Selin, Integrated Assessment of Health-related Economic Impacts of U.S. Air Pollution Policy, MIT Center for Environmental Health Studies 2013 Annual Poster Session, Cambridge, MA, May 10, 2013.
4. T.M. Thompson, S. Rausch, R. K. Saari and N.E. Selin, Air Quality Impacts of Three Carbon Policies: National vs Regional Implementation, NESCAUM Directors' Meeting, National Association of Clean Air Agencies (NACAA) Global Warming Committee, Bi-Monthly Meeting, NESCAUM Attainment Planning Committee Meeting, New Jersey Clean Air Council Public Hearing, May-June, 2013.
5. Selin, N, et al. Mercury Science Bulletin – Recent Findings from Scientific Research, United Nations Environmental Program Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee Fifth Session on Mercury, Geneva, Switzerland, January, 2013.
6. C. Magee, R. Saari, T. Heaps-Nelson, S. Zoepf, J. Sussman, The Historical Roots of the Field of Engineering Systems: Results from an In-class Assignment, CESUN Third International Engineering Systems Symposium, Delft, Netherlands, June 18-20, 2012. (Also an ESD Working Paper, ESD-WP-2012-05, available at: http://esd.mit.edu/wps/2012/esd-wp-2012-05.pdf)
7. R. Saari, S. Rausch, N.E. Selin. Integrated Assessment of Health-related Economic Impacts of U.S. Air Pollution Policy, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA, December 3-7, 2012.
8. R. Saari, N.E. Selin, S. Rausch, Income-differentiated Effects of the EPA Cross-State Rule Using an Economic Model of the U.S., MIT Energy Initiative Energy Fellows Poster Session 2011, Cambridge, MA, October 27, 2011.
9. S. Hanna, R. Saari, R. Vingarzan, P. Schwarzhoff, R. Kotchenruther, Characterization of the Georgia Basin Puget Sound International Airshed, Regional Air Quality Issues, 15th IUAPPA World Clean Air Congress, Vancouver, Canada, September 12-16, 2010.
10. S. Rego, R. Mani, R. Saari, M. Thomson, Combustion diagnostics at a coal-fired power plant with a midinfrared pyroelectric sensor, Combustion Symposium, Heidelberg, Germany, August 2006.
11. S. Rego, R. Saari, R. Mani, S. El Batroukh, M. Thomson, Combustion Diagnostics at a Coal-Fired Power Plant with a Mid-Infrared Pyroelectric Sensor, Invited presentation, EPRI Infrared Thermography Utility Group (IRUG) Meeting, Toronto, Canada, July 2006.
12. S. Rego, R. Mani, R. Saari, M. Thomson, A Smart Sensor for Furnace Pollution Control and Energy Efficiency, 2006 OCE Discovery Conference and Exhibition, Toronto, Canada, May 2006.
13. J. Taylor, A. Wiacek, R. Saari, C. Avis, T. Kerzenmacher, K. Strong, Ozone Observations over Toronto: A Comparison between a Ground-Based Fourier Transform InfraRed (FTIR) Spectrometer and the Optical Rebecca K. Saari c.v. Revised: November, 2015 4/5 Spectrograph and InfraRed Imager System (OSIRIS), 2004 AGU fall meeting, San Francisco, December 13-17, 2004.
14. J. Taylor, A. Wiacek, R. Saari, C. Avis, T. Kerzenmacher, K. Strong, The Toronto Atmospheric Observatory: Ground-based Observations of the Atmosphere using a newly re-designed Fourier Transform InfraRed (FITR) Spectrometer, 2004 CRESTech Innovation Network Annual Meeting, Mississauga, Ontario, October 14, 2004 ..
15. J. Taylor, A. Wiacek, R. Saari, C. Avis, T. Kerzenmacher, K. Strong, Current Observations at the Toronto Atmospheric Observatory: A Site Report to the NDSC Infrared Working Group, Network for the Detection of Stratospheric Change's Infrared Working Group Annual Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand, August 2004.
16. S. Melo, C. McLandress, H. Wu, E. Farahani, K. Strong, T. Shepherd, C. Nowlan, R. Saari, NO2 Measurements During the Mantra 2002 Balloon Campaign, 35th COSPAR Scientific Assembly, Paris, France, July 18-25, 2004. 17. J. Taylor, R. Saari, A. Wiacek, C. Avis, T. Kerzenmacher, K. Strong, OSIRIS Validation at the Toronto Atmospheric Observatory, 2004 OSIRIS Team Meeting, North York, Ontario, May 2004. __________________________________________________________________________________________